- RightStart4Kids.org Board Meeting (15-JAN-2011)
- Central Indiana Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House at Riley (12-FEB-2011)
- Chicagoland Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House Lincoln Park (19-FEB-2011)
- Milwaukee Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House of Eastern Wisconsin (19-FEB-2011)
- Kick-off Chapter Meeting for PTPI-Chicago (serving Greater Chicagoland, SE Wisconsin & Northern Indiana) (19-FEB-2011)
- Help Rotary Club of Winnetka Pack 100,000 Meals for Starving Children (16-APR-2011)
- Learning Leaders Conference at Harley-Davidson Museum® (10-MAY-2011)
- Central Indiana Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House at Riley (14-MAY-2011)
- Chicagoland Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House Lincoln Park (21-MAY-2011)
- Milwaukee Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House of Eastern Wisconsin (21-MAY-2011)
- CLO/CTO Fundraising Dinner Benefiting Ronald McDonald Houses (16-JUN-2011)
- PTPI-Chicago Chapter Meeting (serving Greater Chicagoland, SE Wisconsin & Northern Indiana) (25-JUN-2011)
- MotorCity Learning Leaders Cooking Dinner @ Ronald McDonald House Ann Arbor (27-JUN-2011)
- Central Indiana Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House at Riley (05-AUG-2011)
- Chicagoland Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House Lincoln Park (20-AUG-2011)
- Milwaukee Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House of Eastern Wisconsin (20-AUG-2011)
- CSR Leadership From Values To Action -- One Acre Fund Lunch & Learn (24-AUG-2011)
- Learning Leaders Conference @ McDonald's Hamburger University (26-SEP-2011)
- One Acre Fund Lunch & Learn @ McDonald's Hamburger University (26-SEP-2011)
- Distributed a Total of 200 Bottles of Prenatal Vitamins @ 3 Clinics in An Giang Vietnam (OCT-2011)
- Co-hosted Mary Eisenhower (PTPI President) Chicago Visit (29-OCT-2011)
- Central Indiana Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House in Riley (05-NOV-2011)
- One Acre Fund Lunch & Learn -- A Year on an African Farm: The Film (08-NOV-2011)
- Chicagoland Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House Lincoln Park (19-NOV-2011)
- Milwaukee Learning Leaders Cooking Brunch @ Ronald McDonald House of Eastern Wisconsin (19-NOV-2011)
Approved Minutes are Attached (Re: RS4K's Annual Meeting & Board of Directors Annual Meeting ( 9 a.m., 22-FEB-2012 @ Unicorn Cafe)]
2011 Annual Board Meeting
President: Tom Nguyen
Vice President: Susan Tran
Treasurer: Dirk Tussing
Meeting called to order on 11 February 2012 at 9:30 a.m. by Dirk Tussing at Unicorn Cafe in Evanston, IL:
Board members in attendance: Tom Nguyen, Susan Tran, Dirk Tussing, Rich Lalley, Jill Denman
Absent Board members: N/A
During 2011 Jill Denman replaces Arlynn Presser as a board member. The RS4K AboutUs webpage has been updated to reflect this change and Jill will be listed in the 2011 Federal tax return.
In early 2011 when RS4K tried to submit annual tax filing for RS4K, we told that we first needed to register with IL … late in 2011 the State of Illinois approved RS4K as an exempt charity (see http://tax.illinois.gov/nonprofits/ for details).
RS4K 2011 Financial Position(s):
Dirk presented draft copies of the 2011 RS4K Financials (one-page detailed income/expenses for the banking accounts). event calendar. RS4K started 2011 and ended 2011 with about $20,000 donations available in cash accounts.
The following financials were discussed with the board:
If minor funding is required for future support, RS4K general funds can be used.
- For our major fundraising event (iPads4RMHs), we
- Raised enough donations to purchase $15,000 of iPads for Ronald McDonald’s House Charities
- Catering and misc expenses was another $15,000 … mostly offset by Executive Learning Exchange
- In summary, CLO/CTO Fundraising Dinner Benefiting Ronald McDonald Houses (16-JUN-2011) was a $30,000 fundraising event
- In total 29 iPads where purchased (22 have already been donated … 7 iPads are available to give to other RMHs).
- Throughout the year, RS4K in partnership with Executive Learning Exchange cooked 13 volunteer meals at RMHs located in four states and 12 volunteer meals in three states are already confirmed and on the RS4K 2012
- In 2010 RS4K would purchase prenatal vitamins at Wal-mart to give to away for our Prenatal Vitamin Project (Rural SE Asia) project. But in 2011 Tom was able to receive about 300 bottles (240 tablets/bottle) of prenatal vitamins from Catholic Charities which provided more to give away but didn’t use any RS4K general funds.
- For tracking reserve accounts/funds, we closed a couple of projects including:
- PBMF (Jon found another more appropriate 501c3 NGO to partner with),
- Bring Light to a Six-month old Blind Baby Girl (the baby passed away) …
- We propose to close 50 Laptops: Netbooks for Kids in Children's Hospital (last donation was received from getAbstract in March, 2011)
Summary of Annual RS4K Activies: We reviewed the list of current 2011 & 2012 Activities that Dirk created as a page on the RS4K website.
- 2011 Activities: http://www.rightstart4kids.org/faq.asp?id=72 along with these minutes for 11-FEB-2012 board meeting.
- 2012 Activities: http://www.rightstart4kids.org/faq.asp?id=73
- Note 2010 Activities are listed on http://www.rightstart4kids.org/faq.asp?id=49 along with last year’s board minutes)
2012 New Business:
Our big 2012 fundraising event will be held on June 26, 2012 at the Winnetka Community House to help www.OneAcreFund.org – an NGO helping farmer in East Africa and being supported this year by the Chicagoland Learning Leaders.
Rich Lalley suggested that on June 26th that the fundraiser benefit dinner also includes a local charity. The RS4K board approved donating 100 winter coats from OperationWarm for Jill and Dirk to work on.
We started a new project in 2011 partnering with WNRCF, Kids Against Hunger, being extended into 2012. Last year RS4K donated $1,300 … this year Tom & I would like to help more on April 14, 2012 to Help Rotary Club of Winnetka Pack 100,000 Meals for Starving Children by pledging $2,000 from RS4K which the board members agreed would not be a problem.
The baby orphanage in An Giang Vietnam has asked RS4K for financial support in 2012. Last year the orphanage did not required financial support – During our October 2011 visit to An Giang they asked for $250 monthly in 2012. The board approve this $3,000 donation.
Partnering with Library of Vietnam, RS4K’s Supporter formed the 1st People To People International Chicago, IL Community Chapter. Mary Eisenhower Pics can be viewed on PTPI-Chicago’s facebook page: Mary Eisenhower (PTPI President) Visiting Chicago (29-OCT-2011)
There is interest by Mickey.Mantas@gmail.com to start a PTPI Chicago Student Chapter (kids 12-17) and PTPI Kansas City will be holding a Global Youth Forum 2012 in Chicago: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - Sunday, November 11, 2012. Here are more details we received via email from KatherineHubbard@ptpi.org:
The delegate curriculum and speakers will all focus on the importance of local and global service work, tying in with our 2012 GYF theme: “Serve the World, Save the World”. The students will also be participating in a half-day community service project in conjunction with Chicago Cares, and will be taking a tour of the city.
We anticipate 100-120 students and 12 delegation leaders in attendance.
The GYF will take place at the Marriott Chicago O’Hare Hotel in Rosemont, IL.
We absolutely need your help promoting!
Marketing materials and final details are currently being developed, but we would LOVE your help in promoting the GYF to local youth late this Spring. We anticipate being able to announce full details and open online registration on May 1. I will be in touch on or around that date to provide you with more information.
2012 Old Business:
Other potential future projects we discussed last year could be partnering with Winnetka-Northfield Rotary club’s simplified district grant opportunity and the An Giang Disabled Baby Orphanage is training their staff to provide rehab therapy for the kids and RS4K would like to donate the equipment for them. As projects are identified, Dirk will add as Current Projects on www.RightStart4Kids.org.
Dirk suggested that during 2011 we try to recruit one or two new RS4K board members that work for a company that provides matching gifts and explore partnering with a grant writer (e.g., Grant Seekers Inc). All the board members agreed it was okay to move forward with all the items discussed.
Adjourned at: 10:30 a.m.
Minutes submitted were posted on RS4K website & submitted for approval by: Dirk Tussing on February 12, 2012